Best Metal for Men's Wedding Bands in 2020
When selecting men's wedding bands, there are so many options that it can be difficult to know where to start. Let Larson Jeweler's help you by describing the most popular metals for wedding bands right now. Here's a look at the available metals and some of our best options.
- Yellow gold is a classic choice that never goes out of style. One advantage to this material is that it's commonly used for engagement rings, so it will match easily. It's also very affordable, durable and low-maintenance, but will need to be polished and will scratch when rubbed against hard surfaces.
- 14K gold has a lower gold content than 18K gold, but it's also more durable, and of course, more affordable. Check out our selection of 14k gold rings. One of our most popular is our men's 14k yellow gold polished finish band.
- 18K gold contains more gold, is more expensive and has a richer, warmer color than bands with less gold. It's also more resistant to tarnishing, but it's a bit less durable and will show marks sooner.
- White Gold is becoming more popular and has a bit more of a modern look. Typically available in 14k, it's made with a combination of gold and other metals like nickel, silver and palladium. The additional metals change the color and also make the band more durable. White gold is also typically more affordable than yellow gold and platinum.
White gold also contains nickel, which may cause skin reactions in some people.
Check out our selection of white gold wedding bands, including our popular Roulette band with a textured engraved design.
- Rose gold is a nice option, as it matches the growing number of rose gold engagement ring sets. Made by blending gold and copper alloys to create a warm, reddish hue, Typically available in 14k and 18k, it's typically stronger than white or yellow gold, and is also quite affordable. One disadvantage is that it can cause skin reactions because of its copper content. Check out our selection of rose gold wedding bands, including our popular SOL traditional domed rose gold band
If you're looking for something a bit different, Larson Jeweler's is the place to shop. Explore these unique options:
- Palladium is a durable, lightweight white metal that makes for a great wedding band. This metal is not coated or plated and is known for its longevity. It's also a rare metal that's not widely available, and its popularity has made it relatively expensive. Larson Jewelers offers a wide selection of palladium rings, including our Baldemar hammer finished ring.
- Titanium is a low-maintenance durable metal that has a light gray color. Masculine and modern in its look, it's durable, heat-resistant and also affordable. It's also hypoallergenic. One disadvantage is that it's more difficult to cast and cannot be resized because of its strength. Larson Jewelers offers a variety of titanium wedding bands, including our Talon black titanium band.
- Tungsten carbide is made of tungsten and carbide, and it’s very durable, heavy and hard. Like titanium, it's low maintenance and heat resistant, which is why it cannot be resized. This metal also comes in a variety of colors, from silver-gray to black, rose and white. Larson Jewelers specializes in tungsten wedding bands. Check out our selection, including our popular Kenzo white tungsten ring, our Orion flat black tungsten ring and our Arlington domed white tungsten ring.
- Cobalt is becoming more popular as an alternative to gold- and silver-colored rings. It's typically a combination of cobalt with alloys like iron, tungsten and chromium. It's a durable metal with a white color that's also more affordable than gold or some of its other counterparts. It's also hypoallergenic. See our selection of cobalt wedding bands, including our popular polished cobalt wedding ring.
If you're looking for specific recommendations, check out our Top 10 Best Men's Wedding Bands for ideas. But we recommend going with whatever suits his style. Contact us anytime if you need help selecting the right ring for you. After all, a wedding band is forever!