Ring Thickness vs. Ring Width
When picking out an engagement or wedding ring, there's more to consider than just color and material. You also want to make sure you choose the right width and thickness. Larson Jewelers is here to help you figure what exactly ring width and ring thickness mean, what the difference between the two is and how they can be used to find the perfect ring.
There is no standard measurement for a ring's thickness and many manufacturers create rings that highly vary in thickness, but if the thickness of a ring concerns you, your jeweler should be able to measure the exact thickness of a ring with a caliper. A good rule to follow would be that the wider the width of a ring, the thicker the ring will be.
What does ring thickness mean?
What ring thicknesses are available?
Ring thickness refers to the thickness of a ring's profile (see diagram to the right). The width of a tungsten ring and thickness of a ring may seem to have the same meaning but actually reference very different attributes of a ring and are not interchangeable. Rings are most commonly sold based on their width, and thickness can vary based on the manufacturer, but the thickness will likely correlate with the width.
What ring widths are available?
Industry standard ring widths are even and include 2mm, 4mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm and 20mm. More uncommon widths that are available for certain styles or by custom request are 5mm, 7mm and the very wide 20mm width. There is a simple visual below that shows our standard widths offered. You can learn a lot more about ring widths from our ring width guide, and if you'd like to see a video representation and on-hand photo representations of ring widths, you can visit our visual ring width guide.
How wide/thick should your ring be?
While searching for the perfect ring for various occasions, you might be asking yourself many questions. It varies from person to person, but some common ones we hear include:
- How thick should a woman's promise ring be?
- How thick should a wood ring be?
- What is a good engagement ring band thickness?
So, how thick is a ring supposed to be?
There are no rules when it comes to what ring width or thickness you should wear, regardless of purpose or material, but there are very common traditions that have been accepted as the "proper" ring width based on gender.
Ring widths of 6mm and smaller are considered a women's ring width range. Ring widths of 8mm and greater are considered a man's ring width range. Smaller widths for women are generally due to bands being worn alongside diamond engagement rings. Too large of a width, and the appearance of a wedding band and engagement ring side by side might appear too large and may not fit most fingers.
Remember, the wider the ring is, the thicker the ring will be, and ring thickness varies depending on manufacturer. You'll want to keep this and any personal preferences in mind while shopping for rings. If you or the person you're shopping for prefers thinner rings, then you'll want to look at rings that are narrower, and if you like thick rings, you'll want to look at options that are wider.
Do I have to follow the norm?
The honest, simple answer to this question is absolutely not! We have had a multitude of customers from both genders purchase ring widths in all ranges and different thicknesses from multiple manufacturers.
There are also many reasons not to follow ring width tradition as well. A 6mm width or smaller might be a great fit for a man with smaller hands and thinner fingers since traditional men's widths may appear too thick. The same argument can be made for women with larger hands and fingers who may feel an 8mm or thicker width may be a better fit. We have everything from delicate
Meet Our Best Sellers
- SILVERADO Silver Hammered Finish Flat Style Wedding Band - 4mm & 8mmOn Sale Now: $179.99 (22% savings)
- CASPER Silver Brushed Center Flat Style Wedding Band With Beveled Edges - 4mm & 8mmOn Sale Now: $179.99 (22% savings)
- ARISTOCRAT Silver Brushed Finish Flat Style Wedding Band - 4mm & 8mmOn Sale Now: $179.99 (22% savings)
- EMPEROR Silver Brushed Finish Domed Wedding Band - 4mm & 8mmOn Sale Now: $179.99 (22% savings)
- SAHARA Men’s Black Ceramic Wedding Band with Sanskrit Stone Inlay & Polished Beveled Edges - 8mmOn Sale Now: $129.99
- MAUI Tungsten Wedding Band with Mother of Pearl Inlay - 4mm - 10mmOn Sale Now: $149.99 (59% savings)
- QUASAR Tungsten Wedding Band with Blue Green Opal Inlay - 4mm - 10mmOn Sale Now: $169.99 (54% savings)
- WINSTON White Tungsten Ring with Raised Hammered Finish and Polished Step Edges - 4mm - 10mmOn Sale Now: $219.99 (37% savings)
- SAN ANTONIO Flat Black Tungsten Carbide Band with Brushed Finish - 4mm - 12mmOn Sale Now: $169.99 (39% savings)
- ONYX Black Carbon Fiber Inlaid Black Ceramic Wedding Band - 4mm - 12mmOn Sale Now: $114.99 (45% savings)
- KALANI Flat Tungsten Carbide Wedding Band with Rare Koa Wood Inlay and Polished Edges - 6mm - 10mmOn Sale Now: $174.99 (17% savings)
- MASERATI Black Tungsten Ring with Polished Domed Beveled Edges - 4mm - 10mmOn Sale Now: $189.99 (39% savings)
- CHRONOS Flat with Offset Grooves Polished Edges and Satin Center Tungsten Band 6mm or 8mmOn Sale Now: $159.90 (24% savings)
- MERCURY Flat Brushed Finish Tungsten Wedding Ring - 4mm - 12mmOn Sale Now: $129.99 (46% savings)
- ZEUS Flat Brushed Finish Tungsten Carbide Ring with Rose Gold Plated Groove - 4mm - 10mmOn Sale Now: $199.99 (38% savings)
- PERSEUS Domed with Brushed Finish Tungsten Band - 2mm - 12mmOn Sale Now: $114.99 (48% savings)
- POLARIS Domed Brushed Finish Tungsten Ring with Polished Bevels - 6mm or 8mmOn Sale Now: $159.99 (43% savings)
- ULTIMUS Tungsten Carbide Ring with Beveled White Carbon Fiber Inlay 4mm - 12mmOn Sale Now: $159.99 (43% savings)